My musical taste spans a wide spectrum from alternative rock, pop, jazz, r&b and even classical music, but at the end of the day I’m a hip hop junkie. Not so much the newer stuff but the golden era of hip hop, the 90’s. Recently Jay Z and DJ Khaled released a track called “I Got the Keys” which has a few gems I think the entrepreneurial community can appreciate. Let’s peel back some of the layers of this onion shall we?
- “People always asking me the key… Until you own your own you can’t be free.” Jay Z
- Wow. What a way to start the show. Very powerful statement there and it’s the truth. Those of us blessed to have employment appreciate the stable check but can’t somehow help feeling like we’re slaving away on the 9 to 5 grind, while the folks at the top of the pyramid seem to be reaping the major rewards from our labor. How does one rectify this? Well as Jay suggests “you have to own your own.” That’s what we’re about here at MogulGrind launching and growing successful businesses.
- “The key to life is to keep a bag coming” Jay Z
- “Bag coming” is a reference to keeping the money bags coming. In other words developing multiple streams of income (MSI). The Oracle of Omaha, Warren Buffett once said “Never depend on a single source of income.” If it’s good enough for a man worth over $60 Billion I think it’s great enough advice for us MogulGrinders. Develop Multiple sources of income i.e. Real Estate, Equities, Business Venture(s), etc.
- “I aint been asleep since 96′, I aint see the back of my eyelids.” Jay Z
- This is in reference to working hard and perfecting your craft, taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves, and creating your own opportunities through hard work. Nothing is going to magically appear for us. Any worthwhile endeavor is going to take a lot of discipline and hard work.
- “I got the keys.”
- You have the power to determine where you go in life. You have the keys to the future, to success, or even to failure. Regardless of the circumstances you are born into, if you can read and are of sound mind you can improve your life significantly by making smart choices and learning from mistakes. No one is holding you down.
Do you have your “I Got The Keys” tee yet?